Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sakura Bloom Triathlon - Question #2

2: How is your personality reflected in your parenting style?

I'd describe myself as an easy-going gal. I'm not too tightly wound. I'm up for anything, fun loving, fly by the seat of your pants. I think I'm an excellent boy-mom, if I do say so myself. We stomp in puddles, dig in dirt, look at bugs, act like dinosaurs and have a silly old time.

I am an AP (attachment parenting) mama and I think my personality definitely helps me in that regard. I don't often have a rigorous schedule. I like to give my son the opportunity to make good choices on his own. Sometimes that takes a little bit of time for a 2 year old to do. But it's working for us. I exercise my patience with him, and even negotiate. I give him some control. That may seem odd to some people, giving a 2 year old control or negotiating with him. But I'm not a "my way or the highway" type of person. I don't want my son to obey all authority without asking questions. I allow him time to think for himself, the opportunity to make the right choice, and to see natural consequences for his actions. I hope to raise smart, conscientious, free thinking boys who will make our world a better place.