Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sakura Bloom Triathlon - Question #1

I'm taking some quiet time during Jack's nap today to sit down and really think these questions through. Here we go!

1: What first interested you in babywearing?

I have a friend to thank for my interest in babywearing. A mommy-mentor, if you will. She is my friend Wendi, who attended college with me and was my sorority sister. We live a few hours apart, but have kept in touch through the years over blogs and social networking sites. She documents her pregnancies, births and mommy experiences in her blog, and she has taught me many invaluable lessons.

I followed her blog through her first pregnancy, which ended in a traumatic emergency cesarean. She later found out that the cesarean was most likely unnecessary, preventable and a result of multiple interventions. I read as she celebrated the birth of her son, but grieved the loss of a vaginal birth. I read as she openly spoke about breastfeeding her son. I learned about attachment parenting and cloth diapers from Wendi. And I learned about babywearing. I remember choosing a pink Hotsling from her registry and sending it to her when her son was born. I saw her photos and read about her experiences wearing her son. How it made her life easier, how it helped with bonding and closeness, and of course how cute all the different styles of baby carriers are!

I have Wendi to thank for a great deal of my early mommy-education. Thank you for empowering me to take charge of my own childbirth, to ask questions, to follow my own mama instinct. Thank you for showing me cute cloth fluff for my baby's bum. And thank you for showing me babywearing.

3 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

How inspirational! Thank you for sharing this!

Steph

Catherine Anne said...

Love your crunchy blog!!!!

wendimarie said...

Oh wow! This made me cry. This is one of the nicest things anyone could have said to me. Really you have no idea. Thank you! I look forward to watching your family grow and continue on your journey. Much love!